The combination of Wasabi’s object-level, immutable cloud storage with HYCU’s data protection and backup services means that customers will benefit from new application protection and rapid recovery capabilities, which avoid egress charges imposed by hyperscale cloud alternatives to Wasabi, the companies said in an announcement earlier this week. Immutable storage will ensure malicious actors are denied access and can’t hold data for ransom.
Wasabi says its cloud storage features simple pricing with no complex tiering that is one-fifth the cost of hyperscalers Azure, AWS, and Google Cloud. Combined together, the two companies’ products will enable customers to protect critical data and test ransomware recoveries while leading to lower TCO, they maintain.
HYCU said that ransomware attacks must be addressed because these types of attacks happen, on average, every 11 seconds, have risen in number to 236 million in the first half of 2022, and can cause downtime measured in days and weeks. Earlier this year, HYCU extended its flagship Protégé data protection platform with anti-ransomware functionality.
HYCU also shared research that makes the case for jointly delivered protection like it’s now offering with Wasabi. In a survey of 400 tech professionals, the company found:
- 52% of ransomware victims suffer some level of data loss.
- 63% of ransomware victims suffered an operational disruption.
- Only 41% “air gap” their backups with immutable storage.
- Only 47% routinely test their backup capabilities.
Perhaps the strongest indicator of the threat posed by ransomware: 77% of survey respondents said their board of directors is involved in ransomware prevention and recovery discussions; that’s an indicator that ransomware has hit the mainstream and therefore the radar of top business leaders, and is now a topic of board-level discussion.
- HYCU Adds a Data Protection Free Tier for AWS Customers
- Multicloud Backup Provider HYCU Adds $53 Million in VC Funding
- HYCU Simplifies Enterprise and Public Multicloud Security and Data Management
For more exclusive coverage of innovative cloud companies, check out Cloud Wars Horizon here: