In this Industry Cloud Battleground session — now available on demand with a premium subscription to Acceleration Economy — Chris Atkins, Vice President, Digital Government Transformation, SAP, talks with Don Ingle, Industry Executive Advisor, State and Local Government, Education, SAP, about bringing cloud technology to the public sector, which included challenges such as a lack of willingness to adopt cloud best practices, trepidation about risk and not being able to control security, uncertainty about cost, and having to make information technology (IT) less of a control and more of a business partner.
Highlights from this Session, and What You Will Learn:
- How some citizens expect the “Amazon experience” from the public sector, are disappointed when they don’t receive it, and ways to address this disappointment
- Inside details about the Navy’s data modernization efforts
- Strategies should be undertaken keeping in mind the public sector’s goal of providing public goods and services, not monetary value, shape
- How robotic process automation (RPA) was used during the Covid-19 pandemic
- The role of courage and innovation in motivating the often conservative public sector.
- Sustainability beyond carbon footprint reduction
- Why data should be seen as a physical asset that needs to be maintained