Each month, “Anschuetz on Leadership” episodes will look at unique ways that business can approach leadership. Christian Anschuetz is an adventurer, explorer, entrepreneur, United States Marine Corps Captain (not on active duty), and highly inspirational leader. He’s been the CIO of one of the world’s largest advertising firms, CDO of a global safety and supply-chain company, and founded a nonprofit to help connect military veterans with business leaders for mutually beneficial outcomes. He’s currently building his own house, teaching at the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill, and starting a couple of new businesses.
The Big Themes:
- Veteran’s Day: This episode was recorded on Veteran’s Day, a reminder of many things that are important to all of us.
- A winning mindset: The Department of Defense is one of the most diverse workforces in the U.S. But the team follows a standard of behavior that says we are going to act this way, within this mindset.
- Long-term vision: There should be something that you stick to, regardless of whether you’re in good times or bad.
- Changes in the workforce: There are lots of job opportunities – people should go where they can be the most happy, and employers need to prioritize culture and leadership modeling to attract the best candidates.
The Big Quotes
- “You have a bunch of organizations that act and behave this way, but particularly the United States Marine Corps has got a tradition of service, a tradition of looking beyond the individual.”
- “I think all the things you’re talking about—culture, leadership modeling, a sense of teamwork, a sense of that sacred thing of upholding your teammates… there’s things going on in the workforce now that are going to, I think, make those more important, more widespread than they’ve ever been before.”
Stream the audio-only version of this episode:
More episodes of Anscheutz on Leadership:
Cloud Wars Live Digital All-Stars
Christian Anschuetz is one of our regular Digital All-Stars. The All-Stars are experts whose video podcasts will focus on the critical themes shaping (and re-shaping!) the business world here in the digital age of 2021. Our intention is to provide regular chunks of timely ideas and insights about high-priority subjects from industry veterans with diverse backgrounds.