Each month, Tony Uphoff, visionary CEO of Thomasnet.com, joins Cloud Wars Live for a recurring segment. “Uphoff on Industry” will explore the innovations, upheavals, and breakthroughs reshaping the the world of manufacturing and industrial markets. Today, Tony explains the major challenges that supply chains are facing, including a lack of skilled workers across many verticals.
The Big Themes:
- The real story behind the supply chain: There are not enough skilled workers in manufacturing, logistics, distribution, and trucking.
- Combination of technology and innovative programs: Like apprenticeships, primary school education programs, and recruiting people from other industries.
- Geo-political dynamics: LinkedIn pulling out of China, recent investments by the US government to stimulate American ships manufacturing, and 5G development.
- Google is an example of a broader trend: This is a deceptively simple observation and one that holds insights for business leaders.
The Big Quote:
- “It’s clearly starting to have an impact as we get a little closer to the holiday season.”
- “Boy, we had that all wrong. What were we thinking? We’re rethinking our strategy but trust me, they are.”
- “We might break that into four or five that have proximity to final assembly, proximity to customers, proximity to talent, proximity to energy grids.”
You can also stream the audio-only version of this episode:
Cloud Wars Live Digital All-Stars
Tony Uphoff is one of our regular Digital All-Stars. The All-Stars are experts whose video podcasts will focus on the critical themes shaping (and re-shaping!) the business world here in the digital age of 2021. Our intention is to provide regular chunks of timely ideas and insights about high-priority subjects from industry veterans with diverse backgrounds.
This episode was brought to you by BMC Software.