Each month, “Lochhead on Different” episodes explore the need to differentiate people, products, and services in a world that encourages a lot of imitation. Christopher Lochhead is a best-selling author, top podcaster, and former tech-industry CMO. Today, Christopher and I talk about the importance of finding a career you love, as work-life balance disappears.
The Big Themes:
- Declare dominion over your work: Agency is working for something greater than a paycheck. When you love what you do, you have nothing to “balance.”
- Who is your Archimedes: “If you give me a lever and a place to stand, I can move the world.”
- YOLO, “You Only Live Once”: Originally made popular by the Grateful Dead drummer Mickey Hart. For many, a good job, a nice car, and a steady paycheck are no longer enough.
- Sometimes you need an auctioneer: Your auctioneer is probably a friend, a mentor, a family member, or former coworker who pushes you to do things you don’t think you can do.
The Big Quote:
- “We’re now seeing reasonably credible research being done by major organizations saying a huge percentage of people are considering changing jobs.”
- “And so what the vast majority of people fail to understand about personal freedom and career agency is that you don’t need everybody to agree with what you’re doing.”
- “I think we’re at a time where it behooves all of us to care about our lives and our work and the intertwining of the two.”
You can also stream this episode in audio-only format:
Thanks for watching. For more like this, we recommend:
Stream more from Lochhead on Different:
Cloud Wars Live Digital All-Stars
Christopher Lochhead is one of our regular Digital All-Stars. The All-Stars are experts whose video podcasts will focus on the critical themes shaping (and re-shaping!) the business world here in the digital age of 2021. Our intention is to provide regular chunks of timely ideas and insights about high-priority subjects from industry veterans with diverse backgrounds.