Each month, Tony Uphoff, visionary CEO of Thomas, joins Cloud Wars Live for a recurring segment. “Uphoff on Industry” explores the innovations, upheavals, and breakthroughs reshaping the the world of manufacturing and industrial markets. Today, Tony talks us through the sale of Thomas to Xometry and what it means for the future of manufacturing.
The Big Themes:
- The power of relationships: The deal between Thomas and Xometry probably wouldn’t have happened without a trusting relationship.
- Helping small and medium-sized companies grow: Xometry developed a way for smaller manufacturers to be able to take on bigger projects and grow their businesses.
- Digital transformation inevitably leads to business model transformation: For business leaders it’s an important time to find ways to look at your business differently.
The Big Quotes:
- “We announced yesterday that Thomas has been acquired by Xometry, an on-demand manufacturing marketplace.”
- “The exciting union of these two companies will help accelerate the digital transformation of manufacturing.”
- “If you embrace the idea that you could do things differently, or do things that you didn’t before, I find that that pace of change is less frightening.”
Stream the audio-only version of this episode:
Thanks for watching! For more like this, we recommend:
More Uphoff on Industry:
Cloud Wars Live Digital All-Stars
Tony Uphoff is one of our regular Digital All-Stars. The All-Stars are experts whose video podcasts will focus on the critical themes shaping (and re-shaping!) the business world here in the digital age of 2021. Our intention is to provide regular chunks of timely ideas and insights about high-priority subjects from industry veterans with diverse backgrounds.