Since Silk bills itself on its website as “The Database Supercharger” and promises to provide “the greatest database performance of your life,” I recently had a lively conversation with Silk VP of Global Business Development Chris Buckel. In this sponsored episode, Chris describes how Silk’s cloud data platform works with all of the major infrastructure providers–AWS, Microsoft, and Google Cloud–and enables customers to achieve the speed, simplicity, and security required for moving mission-critical workloads to the cloud. Chris also explains how Silk’s cutting-edge technology allows its customers to scale up and down as needed, which provides top-level performance with economics every CFO will love.
The Big Themes:
- That’s what Silk helps with: We’re helping customers take those applications, and more importantly the databases underneath them – and successfully deploy them to the public cloud.
- Performance and cost: We always describe it as two sides of the same coin. You can have all that performance, but it’s going to cost you the world.
- The platform works as a very clever system: It uses a two-tier architecture that splits performance and capacity into independent dimensions.
- The crown jewels of the database space: When it comes to moving it and putting it into someone else’s cloud, you really need to be absolutely sure that you’re going to get everything you need.
The Big Quotes:
- “I’m in a very privileged position to be able to talk to lots of CEOs and CTOs of very large companies.”
- “It’s essentially like a t-shirt size methodology, but most real life work clothes don’t fit into the easy small, medium, or large categories.”
- “I just think that everyone needs to keep an eye on what’s happening in this database space.”