With hundreds of thousands of companies surging into the cloud and aspiring to be a data-driven business, cloud databases are becoming the central nervous system for the digital economy. Award-winning journalist and world-class content leader John Foley—who’s also a Cloud Wars contributing editor—has created the Cloud Database Report to help business leaders and the tech industry stay up to date on this red-hot strategic technology.
The Big Themes:
- A lot of exciting things happening: Gartner is estimating that 75% of databases will be migrated to the cloud or be launched in the cloud by the end of next year.
- Big Data startup Ocient: Just raised $40 million in Series B to fund work on ingesting data on exabyte scale.
- IDC forecast: What they call the “Enterprise Datasphere” is growing 2X faster than the “Consumer Datasphere.”
- Putting databases into outer space: If you’re storing your digital assets in satellites, maybe then physical space for storage units becomes less of an issue here on planet Earth.
The Big Quotes:
- “We went from terabytes, petabytes, exabytes, and now when you look at it globally, you’re talking yottabytes?”
- “So you can see that just tremendous amount of data being created but much of it is ephemeral, and short lived, it’s cached and it’s gone.”
You can also stream the audio-only version of this episode:
Thanks for watching! For more like this, we recommend:
Stream more from Cloud Wars Live:
Cloud Wars Live Digital All-Stars
John Foley is one of our regular Digital All-Stars. The All-Stars are experts whose video podcasts will focus on the critical themes shaping (and re-shaping!) the business world here in the digital age of 2021. Our intention is to provide regular chunks of timely ideas and insights about high-priority subjects from industry veterans with diverse backgrounds.
This episode was brought to you by BMC Software.