“Sadin on Digital” episodes explore the fast-changing and high-stakes world of digital business. Wayne Sadin and I focus in particular on what CEOs and boards must do to lead their companies successfully into the Digital Age. Today, Wayne and I were able to sit down together in-person for the first time! We talked about a variety of items that a CIO should have on their agenda for digital success, from Shadow IT to industry-specific solutions and more.
The Big Themes:
- The solution is a production database: There’s a big period of time when I have two different data sources. And you run the report off that database.
- Chesterton’s Fence: It didn’t grow like a weed – somebody put it there. They spent time and money and energy. For CEOs, boards and customers: ask yourself, why did we do it that way?
- Very worried about shadow IT: The CEO and the CIO will come to tell you one thing: this is bad.
- Keep the lemmings from running over the cliff: Traditionally, the board of directors and the business people were talking about the same thing – and so were the vendors. Giving them the benefit of our advice.
The Big Quotes:
- “Oracle got it. IBM got it. Microsoft gets it. Some of the other vendors that were more product focused, kind of looked at their product from the wrong end of the telescope.”
- “They don’t want to buy a vendor’s product. They want to buy a process solution.”
- “Do analytics, look at dashboards. They’ve already seen it 20 times.”
You can also stream this episode in audio-only format:
Thanks for watching! For more like this, we recommend:
Stream more recent episodes of Sadin on Digital
- What CIOs Should Say to Boards of Directors
- The Digital CFO: an Action Plan
- The CIO Agenda: What You Need to Know
This episode is brought to you by BMC Software.