In this Cloud Wars Horizon Minute, episode 78, Tom Smith puts the latest acquisition by IBM, of the consulting firm Octo, in context.
00:17 — IBM’s recently announced acquisition of Octo, a digital transformation specialist serving federal government agencies, has several important ramifications:
- It establishes one of the largest providers of digital transformation services to the government, with 4,200 employees focused on this vertical after Octo’s 1,500 employees join IBM Consulting.
- It gives the company a significantly increased opportunity to build out its “deep cloud” concept for digital transformation success.
- Directing investment at core business functions that impact the customer
- Applying strict financial tracking — specifically cost/income ratio — that ensures the tech investment meets rigorous financial objectives
- Use of the right technology “toolkit” that includes hybrid cloud, security, networking, and other elements
01:40 —At Acceleration Economy, our analyses have consistently advocated similar areas of focus, so we feel closely aligned with IBM’s thinking on Deep Cloud.
01:53 — The deal furthers CEO Arvind Krishna’s focus on growing the business in part through acquisitions as well as expanding the reach of the consulting business.
For more exclusive coverage of innovative cloud companies, check out Cloud Wars Horizon here: